EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2014, 6:42am
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum Playing opportunities?

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Music
   Chicago Area Early Music
(Moderator: berto)
   Playing opportunities?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Playing opportunities?  (Read 1178 times)
Don Boekelheide

Email

Playing opportunities?
« on: Jul 16th, 2003, 11:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello, Windycityians,

I'm going to be in town for the American Community Gardening Association ACGA) conference in Chicago at the end of July/beginning of August, and was just wondering (in part because I can't attend Amherst Early Music this year due to the ACGA conference...)

*Anybody need a recorder and cornetto player/tenor voice to join your group between July 31 and August 2, in the evening since I'll be conferencing all day? Does Chicago have a (or many?) sackbut and cornett group, or Waites, or the like?

*Any good early music concerts or gatherings during that time? Anything I should make sure I see in Chicago - excellent museums, good music stores...? Anything? I know - there will certainly be too much to see.

*How is busking? Any places especially good? How are the municipal rules and regs? I play pipe and tabor with planchettes for the street.

*Does the great Sarah Vowell actually still play recorder in your fair city? I know she is an irregular regular on 'This American Life' on NPR, in my book a real credit to Chicago.

I'm certainly looking forward to my visit, and I'm very impressed by your website and some of the discussions. Sorry to read about your recorder group being axed from the local ren festival. As a 'grad' of the California Renaissance Faires, which had a pretty strong historical foundation for music (and costumes, dance and dialect), I've become dismayed as renaissance festivals all over the country have morphed into tired exercizes in consumer flogging fantasy play. It's about as bad as 'smooth jazz' crowding out bebop on public FM stations.

ftr, at the conference, I'll be talking about composting, and about how community gardens can help build community. ACGA is a great group (up there with ARS), and sounds like you've got some interesting urban gardening going on up your way.  

Thanks,

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC

IP Logged
berto
Forum Moderator
Bard

What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Re: Playing opportunities?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 9:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, Don!

There are a few sackbut and cornetto players around town, but there is no "loud band" group meeting regularly that I know of.  A pity, because I am learning sackbut on my own, and I don't have other players to jam with.

Too bad you're not here on a Tuesday, when the Oak Park Recorder Society regularly meets.  Not much else happens routinely Thursday through Saturday, to the best of my knowledge.

From 7/31 thru 8/3, Ars Musica Chicago is hosting its "Gregorian Weekend," a symposium/workshop/concert on Gregorian Chant.  Is this a daytime and/or evening affair?  I don't know.  Visit the Early MusiChicago Calendar page and follow the links for more info.

A group I play with might be playing recorder trios on Saturday, 8/2, but in the late morning to afternoon, unfortunately.

Concerts?  No early music concerts.  You might be interested in attending the Grant Park Festival's "Venetian Night" concert 6:30 PM Saturday, 8/2.  It's free, and downtown in Chicago's Grant Park.  (We're most likely attending.)  Visit http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com for more info.

Museums?  My favorite is the Field Museum of Natural History, downtown, at the south end of Grant Park.  Of course, there are other good museums around town--Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, Art Institute, other arts museums, etc.  It depends on what you like.

Hope this helps a bit.  Enjoy your stay here!
IP Logged

"It is our conviction that if anything is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly."
--Wayne Booth, writing about amateur musicians' passion for playing in For the Love of It
Don Boekelheide

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2003, 12:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks very much, Berto, I'll check out those leads.

In researching for the composting talk I'm giving at the American Community Gardening Association conference this week, I've learned about your 'blue bag' recycling program. Yikes! Guess home and garden composting is really useful up your way!  

The conference program, btw, mentions 'Venetian night'. I'll also check out the Gregorian chant workshop. Thanks very much for the leads.

(Any gardeners among you may really enjoy attending all or part of the ACGA conference. Events will be held in the 'Loop' area this Thursday through Saturday. For information, email Marti Bjornson, m-bjornson@nwu.edu, or check the ACGA website www.communitygardens.org.)

Thanks again, and good luck with your community-wide early music organization - we're working on that same issue here in Charlotte.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC
IP Logged
MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

Music is life, and, like it, is inextinguishable.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 1:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Don-  You had asked about busking.  If you are in Chicago proper, you can forget about it.  Street musicians are strictly liscensed here and I doubt the fee would be worth your while if you'd only be doing it a day or two.  If you decide to risk playing without a liscense, you could be looking at a not-insignificant fine.  Stick to the museums!
IP Logged

-KK "Let me make the songs of a Nation and I care not who makes its laws."-Plato
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home