EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 2nd, 2014, 1:43am
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum « Early Music Reading Session August 24th »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Music
   Chicago Area Early Music
(Moderator: berto)
   Early Music Reading Session August 24th
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Early Music Reading Session August 24th  (Read 1650 times)
MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

Music is life, and, like it, is inextinguishable.

Early Music Reading Session August 24th
« on: Jul 28th, 2003, 3:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ATTENTION ALL CHICAGO AREA EARLY MUSIC LOVERS!
(or "All ye who music love and would its pleasures prove...")

As President of the Chicago Chapter of the American Recorder Society, I would like to take this opportunity to invite all recorder players, viol players and anyone else who loves to play early music to an afternoon of music reading at the Western Springs Baptist Church. We will play music ranging from early medieval polyphony through Baroque double-choir masterpieces.  All playing will be done as a large broken consort (mixed instrumental ensemble).  Performance pitch will be at A=440 to accommodate as many people as possible.  Music and break-time refreshments will be provided.  All you need are your instrument(s) and a music stand!  The church is a wonderful, newly renovated, air-conditioned facility with plenty of free parking available.

Both amateur and professional players are welcome.  The music we will look at should be easily sight-readable to anyone with a least an intermediate level of proficiency on their instruments.  The goal of this session is to explore some of the magnificent repertoire of Early Music and get to know and appreciate the players of the wonderfully varied instruments that bring this repertoire to life.  There will even be opportunities to sing if anyone is willing!   Those who would just like to come and listen are welcome, too.

Please contact Kim Katulka (masquedphoenix1@yahoo.com or 708-442-5426) if you have any questions about directions, your playing level, what the heck a recorder is, whether a rackett should really be considered an instrument, the repertoire or whatever.  I would also like to hear from anyone thinking of attending so we can get a rough idea of how many copies of the music to bring.  But even if you have not contacted me ahead of time, please feel free to show up at the door.

The plain ol' facts:

Where: The Fireside Room of the Western Springs Baptist Church, 4475 Wolf Road in Western Springs. IL (On Wolf Road just south of the Burlington RR Tracks -- Exit 294 at Ogden east; turn right (south) on Wolf Road; continue south across the RR tracks - you can't miss the church parking lot on the left (it's also called The Village Church -- it's on the sign facing Wolf Road both ways).  Enter the parking lot and go into the building from the north side of the church through the main entrance.  The Fireside Room is on the second floor.  Once you've entered the building, go straight and look to the left: you will see the elevator.  Take it to the 2nd floor and exit the opposite door, cross the hallway and you're there.)
When: Sunday, August 24th 2003 from 2-5 p.m. (if you can't make it for the full time, just come for as much as you can)
Cost: Nothing 'cept your time and your talent

I hope to see "All ye who music love" on the 24th.  Let us celebrate magnificent old music and wonderful new friends!  
(If you wish to post a reply on this messageboard to let me know you will come, that's fine.  Just put down your name (first only is okay) and the instrument(s) you will bring.  Thanks!)
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2003, 8:36am by MasquedPhoenix1 » IP Logged

-KK "Let me make the songs of a Nation and I care not who makes its laws."-Plato
MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

Re: Early Music Reading Session August 24th
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2003, 1:33pm »

We're getting down to the wire for this one!  The reading session is coming up at the end of the week and I've heard back from about 20 people.  Thank you for responding- we're going to have a great time reading some really wonderful music.

One problem, though.  So far it seems we have a whole mess of recorders, some krumhorns and a sackbut coming.  The only strings showing up so far will be my viols which I'll have an awfully hard time playing while conducting!  If there are any violists, lutenists, harpists or whatever-else-ists out there planning on coming, please let me know!  We can have a great session with just the recorder players, but it would be wonderful to have players of other instruments as well, especially for the double-choir works.

There are far too few opportunities out there to make music in a big group for the sheer joy of it.  Anyone interested in playing is welcome to come.  Even if you only play a "modern" instrument right now but have always wanted to give Medieval and Renaissance music a try.  As long as you can read parts in the key of C, you'll be able to play.  And if it inspires you to give an "early" instrument a try- so much the better!  Listeners are very much welcome as well- maybe you'll find a reason to become a player in the near future.

So come to play, come to sing, come to listen, but above all- please come!  We will be in Western Springs Sunday afternoon celebrating some of the most beautiful music man has produced.  And we'd love to see you all there.  Early Music "takes a village" as well- the stronger the Early Music community in Chicagoland, the greater the heights we can attain!

"Come lads and lasses, come lads and lasses all- obey the tuneful call..."

-Kim Katulka
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2003, 8:10am by MasquedPhoenix1 » IP Logged

-KK "Let me make the songs of a Nation and I care not who makes its laws."-Plato
berto
Forum Moderator
Bard

What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21st, 2003, 3:06pm »

A few somewhat rhetorical questions:

Do you hope for this all-are-welcome early music gathering to become a regular affair?  Say once quarterly, or perhaps more often?

Even if mainly (or exclusively) recorder players participate in the initial session, will we continue to meet with the hope that eventually viol players and others (brass players!) will join in the fun?

In our wildest dreams, might we hope that this will lead to a new Chicago-area early music organization, ecumenical in character, open to all?  Say, a new Chicago Early Music Society?
IP Logged

"It is our conviction that if anything is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly."
--Wayne Booth, writing about amateur musicians' passion for playing in For the Love of It
MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 9:58am »

Well, Berto...

Even if it ends up mostly recorder players this time, I will probably try again.  But as to frequency, I can see twice a year being good.  During the "season",  Chicago ARS meets every 3rd Sunday of the month, WSEMS meets every 2nd Sunday, the viols have monthly meetings and performance classes on nearly every weekend.  Throw in actual concerts with the gig-level performers, and when do we find a time?  That is why I aimed for summer- all those groups are on summer hiatus and people don't have as many opportunities to scratch their playing itches.  But with summer, you contend with vacations and, as I learned, uncooperative venues.  Still, summer seems like a good idea.  And maybe I'll try something again in January or February when some gigs are on a post-holiday slump.  But if after a couple of times we still get nothing but recorderists (and I can't believe they are the only early instrumentalist that love to get together and just play), I'll probably give it up for a while.  Recorder players who want to play together have Oak Park, Chicago ARS and West Suburban EMS for places to play already.  And I've said before that Chicago American Recorder Society sessions are open to any interested musician.  They even used to have a regular viol session a decade back!  Maybe if we get a few interested other-instrumentalists to sit in at Oak Park or Chicago Chapter meetings as a start, we can get a general Early Music Society meeting going in earnest.  I'd love to see that happen.  But let's see how things go on Sunday.  We'll have some great music in a good setting.  And whoever doesn't show up- it'll be their loss!  
(And for anyone still deciding, let me tempt you with a few names- Machaut's Messe de Nostre Dame, Double-Choir works by Praetorius, Frescobaldi and Orazio Vecchi, A suite of Masque music by Adson, the seven part Shutz song "Auf den Gebirge", a selection from the Mass of Tournai, a couple English and Italian madrigals, Isaac's "A La Bataille", the "Lacrimae Antiquae" Pavan by... do I really need to go on?!  It's going to be a blast!!!)
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2003, 7:15pm by MasquedPhoenix1 » IP Logged

MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25th, 2003, 9:33am »

Thank you!  Thank you!

Thank you to all who came to the reading session on the 24th.  We had 24 people in attendance and all involved had a great time.  (Nine people had such a great time that we stayed an extra hour reading through some of the pieces we hadn't gotten to before 5:00!)  It was wonderful to see a few new faces amongst the familiar ones.  We even got a special treat in reading a brand new arrangement of an Altenberg hymn setting that one of the attendees (Daniel Heiman) had just finished about an hour before the session started!  World premiere!!!   The facilities were great- plenty of room for everyone (and definitely room for more the next time we do this!).  And thank you to everyone who brought snacks.  There was a real feast at break-time!  (I promise to remember some diet soda for the next event).   An extra-large serving of gratitude goes out to everyone who volunteered to give a dollar or two toward the room rental- I'm happy to say that we got it covered.  

Even though some of the music was rather tricky for sight-reading, I was very impressed by the reading levels of the players.  With only two run-throughs on most pieces, the resulting music was phenomenal.  There were very few instances of anyone getting lost and we ended every piece together.  Everyone that played should be very proud of themselves!  

And even though we ended up with mostly recorder players, we had enough viols to put a treble-tenor-bass set on the Lacrimae Antiquae at the end of the afternoon.  Maybe next time we'll have enough to give those double-choir pieces a whirl with a full viol choir.  (But don't think I didn't appreciate the full krumhorn choir on the Praetorius double-choir piece.  What an awesome sound!)

Thanks again to everyone that came.  We will definitely try to do this again next summer, and I'll see how interest is for a session in January after things settle down from the holidays.  But maybe next time we can divide up the conducting duties a bit- all that great music really made me want to sit down and play!

So keep your eyes on the Early MusiChicago website for information about the next Early Music Reading Session.  If anyone has any suggestions for music or how to get word out better so we can have a more diverse instrument pool, please post a reply here or contact me (see first posting for info) to let me know.  Thanks again for a very rewarding afternoon!
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2003, 8:22am by MasquedPhoenix1 » IP Logged

Forum Admin
Forum Administrator

Welcome to Early MusiChicago!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2003, 12:20pm »

Wonderful event!

Especially so because I got to play my "sackbut".  Cool

View photos of the gathering at http://earlymusichicago.org/photoalbum_AllYeWhoMusicLoveReadingSessionAu gust2003.htm

Let's do it again sometime (soon), shall we?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home