EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2014, 10:06pm
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum sackbut

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Instruments & Voice
   Early Brass
(Moderator: berto)
   sackbut
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sackbut  (Read 6348 times)
Ray Avery

Email

sackbut
« on: Sep 28th, 2003, 11:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does anybody know of some good reputable dealers that sell sackbuts, either originals or reproductions?
IP Logged
berto
Forum Moderator
Bard

What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Re: sackbut
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 4:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, for starters, one could begin with the EMC Sackbut Businesses page, http://earlymusichicago.org/businesses_sackbut.htm

The listed makers do business on the Web. For others, one might try following the links in the Sackbut section of the EMC Instruments page http://earlymusichicago.org/instruments_brasskeyboardpercussion.htm

Sigh. If only I had the funds to purchase a "real" sackbut from one of these makers. For now, I just have to make do with my "sackbut-wannabe"--my silver, small-bore and small-bell, antique "peashooter" trombone.
IP Logged

"It is our conviction that if anything is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly."
--Wayne Booth, writing about amateur musicians' passion for playing in For the Love of It
Ray_Avery
Minstrel

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 7:10am »

Doug Yeo had posted elsewhere that he spent some time recently playing the bass sackbut and told how much he enjoyed it for a change of pace.  So, now I have the urge to get a sackbut.  It would be interesting to add to my collection of instruments.
IP Logged

alto recorder, bass trombone, tenor trombone, euph, Eb tuba, flute, dulcimer - someday a sackbut
Ray_Avery
Minstrel

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 10:26am »

I checked out Maller Brass Instruments using your link and it appears all he sells is trumpets.
IP Logged

alto recorder, bass trombone, tenor trombone, euph, Eb tuba, flute, dulcimer - someday a sackbut
berto
Forum Moderator
Bard

What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 12:49pm »

Yes, I know what you're saying. I base this on information in the current issue of Early Music America magazine, p. 11, where a half-page ad for Maller Baroque Brass Instruments says "Specializing in handmade trumpets and sackbuts." I assume that since Mr. Maller incurred the expense of that ad, and since it is recent (and possibly more recent than his web site, which is rather terse), the ad is more accurate and authoritative. I could be wrong.
IP Logged

"It is our conviction that if anything is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly."
--Wayne Booth, writing about amateur musicians' passion for playing in For the Love of It
Epigraph55
Minstrel

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 5:05pm »

Over here in the UK Michael Rath has started making a set of sackbuts, alto, tenor and bass. Michael makes trombones to the highest standards and I'm sure these would be very good. Could be pricey though!
IP Logged

Keith in Bb/F/D
Epigraph55
Minstrel

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 5:10pm »

Sorry - clicked on send before I finished!

In addition to Rath in the UK there is also John Webb who makes good modern replicas. Over on mainland Europe there's Egger (Swiss), Bohm und Meinl, Josef Dotzauer, Latsch and Meinl und Lauber (all German I think).

I have web URLs for these if you're struggling with your search engines.

Haven't found any US makers yet.
IP Logged

Keith in Bb/F/D
Ray_Avery
Minstrel

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 7:06pm »

Thanks Keith.  Some of those are listed here on this website and I have checked them out.  I'm just kicking the tires (or should I say tyres) right now.
IP Logged

Fredi Sonderegger

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 8:55am »

Rainer Egger in Basel makes brilliant reproductions of renaissaance and classical trombones. In diffrent levels of authentity(I hope that's a real word) and price.

Check out his age:
http://www.eggerinstruments.ch/home.htm

I really love playing his MDC renaissance sackbutts, they are expensive, but worth every penny.

Fredi
IP Logged
MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

Music is life, and, like it, is inextinguishable.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 10:26am »

I just spoke with David Maller of Maller baroque Brass Instruments yesterday.  I asked him if he had sackbutts, and he said, yes- in fact he had one in the car with him along with a couple of cornettos.  If his web site doesn't give enough information, please call him at (847)509-1901 or e-mail him at mallerbbi@aol.com.
IP Logged

-KK "Let me make the songs of a Nation and I care not who makes its laws."-Plato
David L. Maller

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 2:49pm »

it is true that I make alto, tenor, and bass sackbuts.  I am sorry that I don't currently have some pictures of them on my website.  This will change soon.  My web designer is on his honeymoon at the moment.  I have a tenor in stock, and an alto that is almost completed if anyone is interested in trying either or both of them.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at (847) 509-1901, or send me an email at mallerbbi@aol.com.

Best,
David L. Maller
IP Logged
sean

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 11:31pm »

i have to make a small imitation of a sackbut, could anyone help me out?  Huh
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home