EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2014, 11:20pm
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum « Better Synthetic Strings »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Instruments & Voice
   Early Strings
(Moderator: berto)
   Better Synthetic Strings
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Better Synthetic Strings  (Read 2053 times)
MasquedPhoenix1
Minstrel

Music is life, and, like it, is inextinguishable.

Better Synthetic Strings
« on: Aug 5th, 2004, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am wondering if anyone can tell me of who might make good synthetic strings for early instruments?  Yes, I much prefer playing on real gut, but in the summer I do a lot of outdoor playing and real gut just doesn't work out- you spend more time tuning that playing.  I found the Super-Sensitive synthetics, but-although they are very stable- they are absolutely filthy.  My fingers, frets and fingerboard are covered in black residue after just a few minutes of playing.  Wiping the strings down with a dry cloth throughout the day and using string cleaner at home hasn't slowed down the residue at all, it seems.  

I would never buy such cheap strings as Super Sensitive for my modern double-bass.  I've known they were poor quality strings since high school.  But they seem to be the only game in town for synthetic viol strings.  So if anyone knows of something better on the market, please let me know.

Until then, you'll know me by the blackened fingertips on my left hand (at least until Autumn gets here)...
 Tongue
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2004, 10:00am by MasquedPhoenix1 » IP Logged

-KK "Let me make the songs of a Nation and I care not who makes its laws."-Plato
Daniel Hieman

Email

Re: Better Synthetic Strings
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 12:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you tried Nylgut strings from Aquila Corde?  They work reasonably well on lutes.  The company advertizes viol strings as well.........

http://www.aquilausa.com/viol.html

DFH
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home