EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 2nd, 2014, 1:43am
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum Local ensembles

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Instruments & Voice
   Recorder
(Moderator: Labattaille)
   Local ensembles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Local ensembles  (Read 1832 times)
Kate Tietz

Email

Local ensembles
« on: Apr 8th, 2004, 10:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Greetings and Salutations,

I'm from Tinley Park, and began performing early music in Cleveland, at Baldwin-Wallace College.  When I returned to the Chicagoland area, I got busy re-establishing myself, and fell out of early music.  I miss it, and would love to play again with others.  Two problems:  I only own recorders, Soprano, Alto and Tenor, and they are Yamahas.  Also, I've been away for a while, and need to get my fingers back.  I read just fine, and improvise some as well.  My transposition is rusty.  ALSO, I would love to play early brass, Krumhorn or perhaps even work on a string, but I don't have access to instsruments since leaving school.  I did play Krumhorn at BW, and some cornetto, though I found the holes to far apart for my hands, and don't know how to correct that problem and maintain the accoustic integrity of the instrument.  

*Deep breath...* So. Any suggestions?
Kate
IP Logged
berto
Bard

What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!

Re: Local ensembles
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2004, 10:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Kate:

You would fit in well with the Oak Park Recorder Society, which meets every Tuesday evening from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM (with *optional* playing after refreshments until late in the evening). The OPRS is "where the action is," the only group around town that plays often and on a regular basis. Despite its name, members of the group occasionally play krumhorns, viols, and other instruments, in addition to recorders. Players of all capabilities and experience are welcome. The group also gives public performances from time to time, but it's not really a performing group per se, just a group of passionate amateur players (with a few pros and semi-pros).

There are other groups (mainly ARS chapters) around town that you can read about on the Early MusiChicago Organizations page

http://earlymusichicago.org/organizations

but the other groups meet monthly or sporadically at best.

At present, there are no informal playing opportunities for early brass players, but some of us (I play sackbut in addition to recorder, also percussion) are working on that!

I encourage you to join us Tuesday evenings in Oak Park. You will be challenged and delighted, I promise you.

Berto
IP Logged

"It is our conviction that if anything is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly."
--Wayne Booth, writing about amateur musicians' passion for playing in For the Love of It
Kate Teitz

Email

Re: Local ensembles
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 12:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks, Berto!  Sounds perfect.

Kate
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home