EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2014, 8:06am
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum A Lesson in the Renaissance

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Music
   Young Early Musicians
(Moderator: Labattaille)
   A Lesson in the Renaissance
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Lesson in the Renaissance  (Read 1291 times)
Hautbois
Minstrel

A Lesson in the Renaissance
« on: Nov 26th, 2003, 11:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just thought I'd leave a note about a project I did for school.  I'm taking a Humanities class, which studies history from medieval to the present from the perspectives of art, music, and literature.  When we were learning about Renaissance music, I did a presentation for the class.  I brought in recorders from bass through garklein, as well as a crumhorn, and played some period music and some duets with my mom.  People told me they were very impressed and asked me how I learned to play the recorder, what is that funny-looking buzzy thing, etc.  The teacher gave me 100% for participation in the class and I had a lot of fun demonstrating that recorders are not just little whistles you blow through in third grade and laugh at for the rest of your life.  Hopefully it was a pleasant exposure to a kind of music most people my age don't normally listen to.
IP Logged

"I cannot live without books."
--Thomas Jefferson
Labattaille
Forum Moderator
Minstrel

*Lord have mercy on my solo*

Re: A Lesson in the Renaissance
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 8:44am »

Ah, yes...I too have fond memories of a presentation I did several years ago for my 7th grade science class one fine day...

I brought in all the members of the recorder family (sopranino through bass), and gave each instrument a little try (playing excerpts from pieces from by Telemann to Holst) in order for the kiddies to hear the family's wide range. They were especially impressed by the bass recorder's size of course, and were even more impressed when I told them that there were still even bigger recorders.  

This year, I'm taking World History in high school, and I hope that I may be able to give another presentation when we study the Renaissance. It is truly a great way to expose young'uns, who otherwise would get no exposure, to the wide and wonderful world of the recorder and Early Music. If each of us did our part to influence young people in this way, who knows what we could accomplish?

(Please forgive my thingyiness..and typos, if any...I just woke up, and I'm still a bit brain-dead... =.=)

IP Logged

"Think of the cosmic eighth notes."
-Tina Chancey
Ray_Avery
Minstrel

Re: A Lesson in the Renaissance
« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 9:51am »

Sounds like you two have had good experiences.  I'm way beyond HS age, in fact my kids are beyond HS age, but I still run into people who think of recorders as cheap plastic toys that 3rd graders play in music class.  When I tell them what I paid for my expensive plastic recorder they think I'm nuts.  When they hear what a real alto sounds like, they are amazed.
IP Logged

alto recorder, bass trombone, tenor trombone, euph, Eb tuba, flute, dulcimer - someday a sackbut
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home