EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 23rd, 2014, 11:23pm
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum « Start an Early Music youth ensemble? »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Music
   Young Early Musicians
(Moderator: Labattaille)
   Start an Early Music youth ensemble?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Start an Early Music youth ensemble?  (Read 1774 times)
Labattaille
Forum Moderator
Minstrel

*Lord have mercy on my solo*

Start an Early Music youth ensemble?
« on: Feb 18th, 2004, 5:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Several of us "in the field" have been discussing the possible creation of an Early Music ensemble specifically for young people. It’s still rather early, but the Midwest Young Artists Association might start a period instrument youth orchestra led by members of the Chicago area’s Early Music community. At first the idea of a collegium was discussed, but it would be harder to get such a group going due to a lack of authentic instruments (and the young people to play them).  

Young (Early) music enthusiasts of Chicago, speak out! What are your thoughts and ideas regarding a period orchestra for young people, or an Early Music ensemble in general? (Would anyone be interested in joining such an ensemble right off the bat?)

One thing is certain, in order for the Chicago area (and beyond) to have a successful Early Music ensemble, we’ll need the young people to play in it. Wouldn’t it be great if such a thing could get started and grow? Think of the generations of young musicians to come whose possibilities for music making will be broadened if we could just get something started.
IP Logged

"Think of the cosmic eighth notes."
-Tina Chancey
Hautbois
Minstrel

Re: Start an Early Music youth ensemble?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2004, 7:05pm »

Grin I think that would be great!  I'd love to have the chance to try out new music/instruments and meet new people.  My only worry is when such a gathering would meet.  I'm fairly busy most of the time, and most of the people I know are busy also.  I'd make time for this if possible, but organizing a schedule for a new group of young people could be tricky, especially with people who aren't already interested in early music.  I definitely agree that we need to get the younger generation interested in early music.
IP Logged

"I cannot live without books."
--Thomas Jefferson
Labattaille
Forum Moderator
Minstrel

*Lord have mercy on my solo*

Re: Start an Early Music youth ensemble?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 4:24pm »

A member of the "fab four" (sorry, Bill), Jerry Fuller, has been hired/appointed by the MYA to work on "making" or "starting" a small chamber ensemble totally dedicated to playing Early Music. I'll post more on this as more developments...develop...but, I'm really excited that this actually has a chance of happening.

Cheers.
IP Logged

"Think of the cosmic eighth notes."
-Tina Chancey
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home