EMC Logo Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 22nd, 2014, 1:18am
Early MusiChicago Home

EMC Logo
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum « Music at College »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum
   Early Music
   Young Early Musicians
(Moderator: Labattaille)
   Music at College
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Music at College  (Read 1686 times)
Hautbois
Minstrel

Music at College
« on: Sep 4th, 2004, 2:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm starting to look at colleges (Oh boy!)  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on places that have good early music groups or opportunities.  I don't think I'm going to major in music, so this would be on an amateur and hobby-ish basis, but I would like to keep up with music while I'm away from home.
IP Logged

"I cannot live without books."
--Thomas Jefferson
Labattaille
Forum Moderator
Minstrel

*Lord have mercy on my solo*

Re: Music at College
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 12:09pm »

Well, I can't say too much as far as different area's Early Music scenes go, but here's what I do know...

--Of course, the Boston and Berkeley, California areas are good for the recorder and Early Music with, I'd imagine, many different sorts of ensembles, good teachers/performers, societies, and good young players. You'd probably have no problem finding opportunities to play on the side and/or take lessons.

--The area around Oberlin, Ohio would probably be decent (because of the university/conservatory--both which are really nice. I know two people going there). It's not the sort of place where the biggest, most world famous Early Musicians tend to congregate often, but you'll find a good number of people who like Early Music and want to play, and I'm sure there are things (societies, community ensembles) set up already for you to join.  

--come to think of it, the New England area at a glance probably has the most going on in different areas, with the Amherst Early Music festival in Vermont, all the stuff going on in Boston, and some decent in many other places, that are would probably be good bet--and not just for recorder.

--I also know that the Washington DC area is good. Scott Reiss lives really close by too.

I, myself am thinking of studying recorder performance in the Boston area (maybe the New England Conservatory), though at first I was stuck on going to Indiana University. I'm also scoping out Oberlin, the Longy School of Music, and the Peabody Conservatory...though I also have real dreams of studying perhaps at McGill Conservatory in Montréal, the Royal Academy of Music in England, the Vienna Conservatory, or the Conservatory van Amsterdam. Sounds crazy, eh? And I'm only a sophomore! Ah, well..

I hope that helped. Good luck finding a good college!  Grin

-Labattaille
IP Logged

"Think of the cosmic eighth notes."
-Tina Chancey
Hautbois
Minstrel

Re: Music at College
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 5:20pm »

Don't give up on the bigger places.  If you don't dream of big things, you never will achieve big things.  

It's also never too early to plan ahead.  I'm still amazed at how quickly time slips by.  (Yes, everyone says that, but it's true!)  Enjoy where you're at and look to where you could be.   Smiley

As to finding the right college...I'm beginning to think that either none of them are right or every single one is right in a different way.  How to choose one?  Cry

Ah, well.  There it is.
IP Logged

"I cannot live without books."
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Early MusiChicago Discussion Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Early MusiChicago Home